Friday, January 18, 2013

Best appendage ever

If somebody would have told me saying goodbye to my little buddy would be so horribly hard, I don't know that I would have signed up for this.


What a treat it has been being this little guy's "mama".  A 3-pound little bundle of love and joy.  My protector, my comforter, my confidant, and appendage.

Pablo was Jeff's hound.  He picked him out, named him, and in the beginning took care of him.  Shortly after Pablo's arrival in our home that all changed.  I was home for 8 weeks following surgery.  At first Pablo went to grandma's during the day.  He loved her and terrorized her cats.  He learned that he was definitely a lap dog with blankets to keep him warm.  He knew when he was turning the corner on Grandma's block and would get excited to get out of the car.  First business was always to let the cats know where they could be or could not.  What a treat it was seeing the little one boss a 19-pounder and a 23-pounder around. Eventually he decided the 23-pounder was okay and that cat was allowed to sit with grandma and him on the couch. When I was up to taking care of him he came home and the pampered pooch continued and our bound became permanent.

He has numerous names, Pip Squeak, hound, Boo Boo  Peewee, Sweetie Pie, and big guy.   When I was not giving him the "proper attention"  Jeff would tell him about his  bad mama and he should pack his bags and head down the road always threatening to make him a nap sack.

Throughout the years there have been a few people he connected with, otherwise he was strictly a mama's boy.  Shelley, my crazy friend, there was not an animal alive that did not like her. Charlene, Pablo decided she was a great place to stop for "coffee".  She broke her no dog rule when we rented from her and he loved the lazy condo life and made her one of his chosen friends even liked being called Paco.  He also connected in a very special way with Kim and sitting with her was a treat he enjoyed. Jerry was one of the very few guys he liked. Pablo was spoiled during his stays at BluffView often getting house privileges as he was her smallest boarder.  During the summer he would camp in the trailer with Paula's parents.

As we say our final goodbyes this afternoon there will be tears, but when their little bodies get sick and they are hurting, saying goodbye is our responsibility.

Thank you Pablo for 13 years of unconditional love.







3 comments:

  1. I'm crying with you :( I read somewhere after we had to let Abby go... "The decision to end a pet's suffering is a decision to begin your own in their place." Tons of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so hard for you, Jeff, the boys and Pablo's friends here. Even tho he would come around me, I was not a chosen one. Pablo thank you for the joy you brought me, the laughter and now tears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read this, I think you could put almost any dogs name in there, but Pablo was not just any dog. He was a wonderful little dog with a big dog attitude. Go get them cats Pablo! Love you, Grandma Dolly

    ReplyDelete