Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Bluejay returns and rambling rose.


I heard a familiar noise this morning and when I looked outside a little buddy was scolding me for not getting something out there for him to eat. I have not usually seen these little bluejays return this early since living here. I stop feeding in the spring because of some of the backyard visitors and wise advise from long-time UPers of Wisconsin (she came out to a little bear hanging off her deck one spring.).



Of note:  I did not take this picture, it was taken by a friend and I had permission to use it.  She lives up by Baraga, Michigan.

Jeff and I have seen some black bear up here since we moved.  A few were crossing Highway 2 to go to Mc Donalds one morning on Jeff's way to work. I have heard one thrashing around in the groove and they have eaten every black berry on my blackberry cane plants.

Heritage Festival was this weekend with a parade going down Silver Street in Hurley.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day.  We sat in front of Freddy's Good Time Saloon on a city bench in the shade and enjoyed the festivities as it went down the street going east and then again as it went down the street going west.  Life in the small town has it's perks.   Fun little celebrations bring people out of the wood work.  Of course the all school reunion and loads of family reunions also help.   We also visited with friends at the Farmer's Market in Hurley earlier in the morning, not buying, just visiting.

Our church, Salem Lutheran, celebrated their 125th anniversary this weekend with the president of Finlandia University giving the sermon for the service. We loved his remark at how far things had come in 125 years.  He was a norweigen who was president of a finnish college preaching at a swedish lutheran church.  Being good Lutherans we have our pew and our spots that we sit it, but since the church was full we did not get to sit there (pertinent information for later in this rambling).  Jeff and I were excited as our good friend was singing with the Ironwood Chamber Singers at the service and we have not had the priviledge of hearing the group yet.  We have heard Larry sing at our home while Jeff played his accordian.  He has a beautiful voice.  Unfortunately they had just started to sing when I felt a stinging sensation on my wrist right by my watch. Looking down a hornet is attached to my wrist.  Wonderful.  I had an allergic reaction as a child so have always been very careful to stay away from the little buggers if at all possible. Up and down the stairs to the basement to grab some ice and monitor myself. Numb fingers and swelling, but nothing else so we headed back up to the service. By the time we figured out I was going to be okay, they were done.  Now if we had been sitting in our right pew in the right spot I would not have been stung.

On a sad note, our little 4-legged guy had a rough weekend with seizures all weekend. After visiting with our vet we may try giving him so medicine to see if that helps him but if he has a hard time with the medication we may have to weigh out our choices.  He has given us loads of pleasure for 13 years.  He is my constant companion.  He gets special treatment at hotels when we take him with us because everyone thinks he is so cute.  As responsible pet owners it is our job to make sure that we don't let him suffer.  I know his time here with us is winding down and thankfully Jeff will help push me when it is time to say goodbye.  Right now, we just love him and see how the medication works.

Boy, definitely a rambling day!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that Pablo isn't doing the best. Definitely a hard time in the life of a pet owner. Prayers for all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Jeff will make the right decision at the right time for yoru lil friend. They are so much a part of our families up here.

    How's the wrist doing? I was surprised that when you were stung, you weren't up 'singing' with the choir also. (Probably not nice words).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wrist is doing okay, swelling is going down, and numbness going away. Yea! I think Jeff almost ended up "singing" with the choir! I make the boy awfully nervous.

      Delete